Vegetarian BBQ Chili
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium sweet potato, chopped in 1 inch cubes
• ½ large red onion, chopped
• 1 large carrot, chopped
• 1 rib celery, chopped
• ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
• 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
• 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce, or more to taste
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with their juices
• 1 box (13 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 box (13 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 3 chard leaves cut into thin strips
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnishing
• ¼ cup barbecue sauce
Garnishes: chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla chips
• Place sweet potato in pot and cover with vegetable broth. The potatoes will cook while you’re prepping your other ingredients.
• In another pot, warm the olive oil then add the celery, onion, carrot, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir occasionally for about 7 minutes.
• Add the garlic, cumin, and oregano. Stir constantly for about 1 minute.
• Add the diced tomatoes and juices, the black beans and kidney beans.
• By this time your sweet potatoes should be cooked. Pour one cup of the vegetable broth from the cooked sweet potatoes into your pot of onions and seasoning, then add the barbecue sauce, chard, cooked sweet potatoes and one bay leaf. Stir to combine, then bring the mixture to a boil and continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, for 30 minutes.
• Remove pot from heat. Add chopped cilantro, stir to blend. Add salt to taste.